Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD)
PODD is a way of organising whole word and symbol vocabulary in a communication book or speech-generating device to provide immersion and modelling for learning. The aim of PODD is to provide vocabulary for continuous communication all the time in a range of situations.
The PODD 15 grid sets are primarily designed for children who can directly target mid-sized symbols to express a range of communication intents.
PODD stands for:
Pragmatic – realistic social language.
Organisation – words and symbols arranged in a systematic way.
Dynamic Display – changing pages.
PODD 15 for The Grid 2
The language complexity of these grid sets is designed to support children learning to:
- Communicate a full range of intents (including to question, relate information, tell stories, express ideas, narrate play, instruct, request, answer, express opinions and complain).
- Express vocabulary commonly experienced in their daily lives. The vocabulary included in the example templates has a bias towards the interests of younger children. Vocabulary in the page set will need to be customised to suit the interests and communication requirements of older age groups.
- Express one to four key-word sentences. This page set has built-in scaffolds, including pragmatic branch starters and predictable links, to support more intelligible communication at this stage of aided language development
- Just as a person who uses speech can choose from thousands of words when they talk, PODD 15 aims to give people with complex communication needs access to a large vocabulary of words.
- If we restrict a person’s vocabulary to a smaller number of words, how will we know for sure that the person is not capable of more?
- PODD can provide a way to better express the users personality through a wide range of communication situations, including requests, greetings, comments, questions, opinions and more.
Each PODD format has been shaped by the experiences of both children with complex communication needs and their communication partners.